Posted by Jennifer Triassi, Yoga Instructor and Young Living Essential Oils Independent Distributor
So you’ve heard your friends raving about essential oils…
Or maybe you’ve been to one of my yoga classes at Willow Tree and experienced some of my oil love…..(I share an essential oil in every single class I teach at Willow Tree).
But you may be wondering, how do you actually use them? Instead of featuring a new “Oil of the Week” this week, I would like to explain various ways they can be used.
There are 3 main ways to use Essential Oils: Aromatically, Topically and Internally.
I’ll explain each a little more:
1. Inhale the essentials directly, either by inhaling directly from the bottle or placing 1-2 drops on your palms and cupping hands over nose while you take several deep breaths. I’ve been known to carry empty essential oils bottles and inhale the lingering scent…..like peppermint during long car rides.
2. Diffuse the oils using a diffuser. A diffuser disperses the oil by a ultra-fine mist into the air. A diffuser does not heat the oils, as heat can damage the oils. I LOVE my diffusers! In fact, when I first started using oils, I quickly got tired of carrying my only diffuser all over my house, depending on where I was at the time. If this sounds like you, Young Living is featuring the Home Diffuser at a discounted price this month, so it’s a great time to pick up another for you or as a gift (holidays are coming). It’s the same diffuser that comes in the Premium Starter Kit.
3. Pour hot water into a bowl, and add a few drops of essential oil. Holding a towel over your heat, sit over the bowl, and breathe deeply for a few minutes.
1. Measure a carrier oil, such as coconut oil, jojoba oil, or olive oil into your palm or glass container. Add specified number of drops of essential oil. Massage hands together and apply to body.
2. Using a roller bottle (with roller fitment), apply essential oil neat, or directly, to body. Be sure to check whether the essential oil you are using may be applied neat. Some oils are “hot oils” and can irritate the skin if applied directly.
3. We almost always dilute essential oils if we are using them topically on children, especially babies under 2. There is a great book called Gentle Babies, which outlines how to use oils for babies and/or pregnant/nursing.
***Research suggests that some oils are more effective when taken internally. However, extreme caution should be exercised. Only oils that are 100% pure, therapeutic-grade and labeled as a dietary supplement should be considered. Dilution and dosage depends on age, weight and health of individual. Be sure to follow dosing recommendations or consult your health care provider. Ingestion is not recommended for children. Another important point to remember is that essential oils are powerful, and you may consider starting with inhaling or applying them topically before ingesting.
1. Place drops of essential oil in capsule and swallow with water.
2. Add 1-2 drops to water or rice milk.
3. Drop directly onto tongue and swallow. Exercise caution here. Many oils are very strong and a single drop should be placed onto a spoon, tasting just a bit of it.
So there are the various ways essential oils can be inhaled, applied topically, and ingested! Every bottle of Young Living Essential Oil outlines its uses on the label. Be sure to read the labels so you are using the oils safely.
If you have any other questions, or are interested in purchasing any essential oils or the amazing Premium Starter Kit, please contact me!