Oil of the Week: Peppermint
Posted by Jennifer Triassi, Yoga Instructor and Young Living Independent Distributor
As we’re now full-swing into the holiday season, I thought it would be the perfect time to showcase Peppermint.
Peppermint is one of the most popular oils, as it really is so versatile! Plus, it’s one of the 11 “Everyday Oils” in Young Living’s Premium Starter Kit. The “Everyday Oils” are named such because you will find yourself using the oils every single day for a variety of reasons, and Peppermint is no exception. Check out some of the different ways you can use it!
Top 10 Uses for Peppermint Essential Oils
1. Headaches: To relieve headache, rub a drop of peppermint essential oil on the temples, forehead, over the sinuses (avoid the eyes!), and on the back of the neck.
2. Itching: Apply a drop of peppermint topically on unbroken skin to stop itching.
3. Congestion: Place a drop of peppermint on the tongue and inhale into the nose and sinuses to relieve congestion from a cold. (Note: I only recommend Young Living, especially when it comes to ingesting certain oils.)
4. Nausea or Morning Sickness: Massage several drops of peppermint on the abdomen (I like to use a carrier oil) or diffuse.
5. Inflammation: Massage several drops of peppermint on an area of injury or chronic inflammation (unbroken skin only).
6. Fever: Rub several drops of peppermint on the bottoms of the feet to reduce fever.
7. Heartburn, Indigestion, Bloating, and Diarrhea: Rub 4 - 6 drops of peppermint essential oil in the palm and rub over the stomach and around the navel to relieve discomfort.
8. Heartburn: Add a drop of peppermint to herbal tea to aid in digestion and relieve heartburn.
9. Poison Ivy & Poison Oak: Mix a couple drops of peppermint in a little bit of olive or coconut oil and apply on infected area.
10. Ticks: Apply a drop of peppermint to a cotton swab and then gently place on the tick. Wait for it to withdraw its head from the skin and then remove with tweezers.
Did you know one oil could handle all of that? Pretty amazing, right? Plus, 100% pure, therapeutic-grade Young Living essential oils can be used to flavor food. Stay tuned for my Peppermint Bark recipe, which I’ll be posting later this week. So easy…so yummy…it is the perfect treat this holiday season!
Be sure to visit Willow Tree this week to experience Peppermint first-hand! We will be diffusing it in our lobby, and I will be sharing it in every yoga class I teach!
If you have any questions about Peppermint, or any other essential oils or the amazing Premium Starter Kit (which includes Peppermint), please contact me!